Reminder:

The writing on this blog is from teens who are in a lockdown facility called O&A. O&A stands for Observation and Assessment, a 45-day period ordered by the courts where their behaviors, attitudes, and skills are charted for their juvenile judge.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Poem: Pain, That's what it brought me

All the choices I have made.
Had me locked behind a door.
On a cement slab is where I laid
Wishing I could do more.

What I was doing was wrong
"This isn't me" I would say.
For I knew I was strong
To put my foot down and turn away.

I was living a life of hell
What I thought was fun, you see,
was really pain hiding in a shell
And pain, is what it brought me.

Plus what is fun anyway?
Disrespect, lies, and the laws I was breakin'?
Friends were not friends at all
For I had surely been mistakin'?

Now the present is what it is,
The past you cannot change
But by making right choices
The future you can arrange.

I can no longer live this life,
going down this destructive path,
It's time I end this strife.
And put to death this awful wrath.

I've chosen to again rise above,
to live right, pure and free
to reach out to the ones I love
Because pain is all it brought me.

N.O., age 17

No comments:

Post a Comment